I got to the parking lot a few minutes late. He called me to see where I was as I was walking across the street. I had never heard his voice before. I was scared. [Sidenote: I was pretty much terrified the entire time before I met Andrew, so that's going to be a pretty prevalent theme in this post, as I'm sure you have also noticed in the previous post. Just so's you know.] I saw his car and immediately knew who he was because he was standing, talking on his cellphone to me when I saw him. He saw me and waved. I hung up my phone and waved back. I walked over to meet him. He gave me the biggest hug you could possibly imagine and I froze up. I have never been a touchy-feely person and that fact is especially so with strangers. I was pretty nervous, but he seemed like a nice guy so I gave him the benefit of the doubt.
We went to Dunkin Donuts where I bought him a coffee with one of my many giftcards. I believe I bought myself a white hot chocolate, possibly a water. I'm not much of a coffee drinker because I can't handle the caffeine so I know it wasn't a coffee, but the details of my own drink are starting to elude me. No matter, the details aren't what's important.
We hung out on the bench outside of the Dunkin Donuts until the sun started to go down and the mosquitoes became unbearable. We talked about philosophy, robots, drugs, punks, politics, religion, aliens, friends, movies, books and a bunch of other random, light topics that people usually talk about when they're first meeting someone. Aliens and robots and punks are totally normal conversation topics for normal people.
My sister, Michelle, came over after she finished up at work. I'd guess it was about 7:30 when she pulled into the parking lot. By that point I hadn't really given him much information about myself at all but found myself completely captivated by his stories, thoughts and trivia. I knew Michelle would like him so I convinced her to hang out with us. We ended up walking around the town a bit, going down to the Froggy Playground and "liberating" the Tonka Trucks. By "liberating" the Tonka Trucks I mean taking each individual truck from its place in the sandbox and then running it over to the parking lot and "parking" it in an actual parking space. You know, treating it like a real truck. Liberating it. It was April Fools Day after all, we had to do something. We hung out until 9 o'clock that night before our mother called us and made us go home. He handed me a copy of Repo Man, told me to watch it and give it back to him the next time we hung out. Then he gave me and Michelle each a hug, we all got in our respective cars, and that was that.
By the end of the night I knew that we were gonna be friends forever. Or, at least, that's what I thought. I had never met anyone as fun, easygoing, interesting or kind as Andrew before. Although we had just met earlier that night and had only physically been in each others' presence for about three hours, it felt to me like we had been friends forever. It's the strangest feeling that I still can't accurately describe. I think it's just his personality, he probably gives off that vibe to a lot of people, but for me it was enough to know that we were gonna be friends for a long time. A real long time. Like, a forever-long-time.
To Be Continued...
No comments:
Post a Comment